Sunday, January 23, 2011

Books

1984



George Orwell's 1984, presents a compelling way of understanding total power through government control and just how susceptible the human mind is. Reading such an extreme novel really helped me to look beyond our everyday human and government deficiencies and discover absolute truth, within myself. Because of 1984, I can compare many of the unethical events from the book to our everyday lives and step out of the box to realize the same types of situations indeed happen to us sometimes without even realizing.
http://www.amazon.com/1984-Signet-Classics-George-Orwell/dp/0451524934


The Diary of a Young Girl

   


With a look at one page, anyone can realize just how remarkable and intelligent Anne Frank is in The Diary of a Young Girl. You can read about the holocaust being a horrendous period of time in Europe, but to step into the mind of an intelligent young woman, firsthand, is an experience I will never forget. Her story about living in an annex for 2 years, then dying at a concentration camp, while always remaining sincere and having a positive attitude has wrapped itself around my heart. I truly feel this moving story has changed my life more than any other, due to its genuine nature of the author. I have never experienced anything like Anne Frank did, and on days where I can’t find my car keys or am running low on rent money, I come to realize my life cannot be as bad as it seems.
http://www.amazon.com/Anne-Frank-Diary-Young-Girl/dp/0553296981



Into the Wild



Jon Krakauer’s Into the Wild is such a moving non-fiction narrative that tells the story of Christopher McCandless giving up his life to hike and survive in the Alaskan wilderness. While reading, I immediately sympathized with Christopher and his desire to take on what wouldn’t be a social norm. Even though he sadly dies in the end, I really enjoyed discovering how he managed to survive his incredible journey and all of the lives he touched. It helps me understand the mind frame of someone that would be labeled “crazy.” I am touched by this story simply because many times I catch myself thinking in a way that Christopher would, independent and free of influence.  http://www.amazon.com/Into-Wild-Jon-Krakauer/dp/0385486804

1 comment: